Monday, November 18, 2013

Grandma's Sequins

Christmas is really sneaking up on me and I am soooo behind!  Get a jump on your own Christmas projects by joining our "Christmas - Not a Card" challenge this fortnight at Creative Cutting Challenge.

I was inspired by this Pinterest project for my design team project.  Man, do I love Pinterest!  I only wish I had enough time to apply all the fantastic ideas I see there...sigh.

Some months ago, my mom let my sisters and me divide my paternal grandmother's stash of vintage pearls, sequins, and beads.  Grandma was a wonderful beader and we are fortunate to each have several beautiful Christmas ornaments created by her very own hands.  When I saw the Pinterest post, I immediately thought of my grandma's beads.


I used The Creative Pointe's "Joy Ornament" SVG to cut four layers of cardboard.  I replaced the center oval cut-out with a large heart shape. The top layer of cardboard was embossed with Tim Holtz's woodgrain texture fade and all layers were given a coat of artist gesso.  Clear Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint and layers of Distress Stains add just enough vintage-ness.  

I recycled clear acrylic packaging to create the windows at the center of the ornament.  These were sandwiched between the layers of cardboard...adhered with Glossy Accents...with the sequins loose in between.

I actually broke into my cherished antique glass glitter to decorate the edges of the ornament.  It was the perfect touch.  A simple ribbon loop hardware piece and wired tinsel create a hanger and a big fluffy bow finishes things off.  Overall, I kept the ornament neutral to really make those colorful sequins pop!

Other Challenge Fun
Make It Monday:  MIM #167
Paper Playtime:  Challenge #23 - Sparkle
Crafty Calendar Challenge: All Things Christmas!
My Time to Craft:  Challenge #243 - Baubles

Supplies:
SVG:  The Creative Pointe ‘Joy Ornamente’
Inks: Delta Ceramcoat artist gesso; Distress Stain ‘Pumice Stone’, ‘Tarnished Brass’, ‘Brushed Pewter’, ‘Picket Fence’; Distress Crackle Paint ‘Clear Rock Candy’
Embellishments: Grandma’s sequins; Stampin’ Up! hardware; Hug Snug seam binding ‘Ivory’; wired tinsel; Cody Foster & Co. vintage glass glitter ‘Silver’
Tools:  SCAL; Cricut Expression; Sizzix Texture Boutique; Tim Holtz texture fade ‘Wood Grain’; Glossy Accents; SU! eyelet tool
Misc: Cardboard; clear acrylic packaging

9 comments:

  1. What a fabulous project! I love that you now have a wonderful way to honor your grandmother's crafty creations as well as showcase your craftiness as well! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you changed this ornament to make it your own. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful ornament Vicki, just a gorgeous heirloom and I like all the textures you did with it, I need to play with my crackle paint more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful! Love how the colors of the sequins just pop...like gems shining! Gorgeous and a wonderful keepsake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful creation, great idea for a family keepsake!

    Thank you for sharing with us at My Time To Craft this week, good luck!
    Hugs Shell xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous creation, I saw it on MIM and had to get a close up look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is Fabulous. I saw this on MIM..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty!... thanks for playing along with us at Paper Playtime!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and what a great idea.

    Thanks for joining us at The Crafty Calendar Challenge.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!